Overseas Volunteers FAQs
Check out the video above to hear a firsthand experience from one of our volunteers!
- Is speaking the language necessary?
- Can I volunteer without a police clearance and/or background check?
- Are internship and/or short-term volunteer opportunities available?
- How long does the review and approval process take once the application has been submitted?
- Do you need specific qualifications to be eligible to volunteer?
- Can family and friends volunteer together?
- Do you only have limited space for those applying to serve or do you have plenty of service spots available?
- How long does the process take from position acceptance to moving overseas?
- Does Destiny Rescue provide any financial assistance or benefits to their volunteers?
- How much would it cost to volunteer for a year?
- Will my current drivers licence be valid?
- What immunization/vaccinations are needed?
- Are you able to have internet access?
- Can a volunteer change their mind (leave) after committing for 12 months?
- Can I bring gifts for the children when I come over?
No. However, we do encourage our volunteers to make an effort to learn the basics of the language while serving overseas. It will help while working with the children as well as integrating yourself in the community in which you live.
No. For the safety of the children as well as the security of our organization, no volunteer or visitor can take part in Destiny Rescue without the necessary clearance documentation.
No. It is not feasible for Destiny Rescue to take on interns or short-term volunteers in light of the limited resources available to provide guidance as well as the number of work permits the government allows Destiny Rescue to have. We ask that all volunteers commit to a minimum of 12 months of service.
Approximately 3 weeks depending on the position and number of applications we receive.
Yes. Please consult the job description for the job(s) you are considering to ensure you meet the required qualifications.
Yes, assuming we have available positions for each person’s skill set. Each person needs to apply separately.
7. Do you only have limited space for those applying to serve or do you have plenty of service spots available?
Destiny Rescue has certain positions advertised that requite a certain skill set that need to be filled. With that said, our organization is constantly growing; therefore, so will the number of positions! If there is not a spot to be filled currently, continue to check back.
Ideally it would take no more than 3 months. All positions advertised need to be filled as soon as possible; therefore, once we offer a position, we would ideally like to see the volunteer in country within 3 months. The sooner, of course, the better.
No. We ask that all volunteers come over fully funded. This means they will need to have a way to financially support themselves in all aspects of general living to include but not be limited to housing, food, transportation, etc. Destiny Rescue will help arrange living accommodations before arrival (in conjunction with the volunteer).
This amount varies based on the country you live in, the length of stay and the quality of living you would expect. Should you be offered a position with Destiny Rescue, we will provide you with helpful tools to get you thinking about how to plan for the financial need required to volunteer.
Yes. You can obtain an international drivers licence from your home nation if you wish. An international licence simply validates your credentials for other international countries. You will be required to apply for a drivers licence once you have arrived and got yourself sorted.
Destiny Rescue recommends that you check with your doctor as these are ever changing and depend on the country in which you come from and the country in which you are arriving to. There are also helpful tools available on-line that can help point you in the right direction.
Yes. Wi-Fi is available in each of our project nations.
Yes, but we ask that you consult with Destiny Rescue’s leadership team to get approval of your decision. We understand that all of our positions are volunteer; however, leaving earlier than the originally agreed upon commitment causes an undue hardship on both you as well as the organization. It costs time and resources to bring new volunteers on board therefore we ask for no less than a 12-month commitment.
We’d love to help answer any further questions you may have or assist you in coming up with creative ways to fundraise and gain personal support.
Email us today at [email protected].